Sunday, October 3, 2010

Reflections on One Year in Texas

It’s hard to believe that I’ve been down in Texas for a year now. Time flies. Looking back over this year I’m grateful for the grace of God that has led me through seasons of both difficulty and excitement. Here’s a quick glimpse of what God has done…

My vision for the year was simple, but challenging: to grow in spiritual, emotional, physical, and relational health. Here’s how I sought to do this:

Spiritual & Emotional Health:

  1. Soak regularly in Christ-centered teaching in Gospel-saturated community as a member of The Village Church
  2. Connect with people in Recovery at the Village, learn to better fight sin, struggle well and live honestly
  3. Serve in behind-the-scenes low-recognition ministries in the church (i.e. Parking Team, Kids Village)

Physical Health:

  1. Work out regularly and eat better in order to honor God with my body

Relational Health:

  1. Build friendships with all sorts of people—older/younger, male/female
  2. Engage people at work, learn to listen well and serve as appropriate

By God’s grace, I’ve seen growth in all these areas. (Some more than others.)

It has been a joy to serve behind the scenes in the church and to work on developing friendships at work and beyond. God has been exceedingly gracious to teach and grow me this year! I pray that He would continue His good work as I learn to walk more regularly in joyful submission to Him.

When I left CT a year ago I was in a dark season of frustration, discouragement, and spiritual/emotional/physical exhaustion. (You can read about it here.) I was burnt out from working in the church, had become a ‘ministry doing machine' with little affection for Christ, and had developed a lot of bitterness and anger toward people.

Over this year the Lord has changed me. He has…

  • deepened my love for the gospel
  • convicted me of sinful brashness and arrogance
  • humbled and softened my heart
  • led me as a loving Father through a season of discipline in which a deeply rooted idol of control was exposed
  • enabled a lot of freedom from habitual addictive sins
  • provided me with some good friends and godly brothers in a new environment
  • renewed my vision for joining Jesus on His mission to love and serve people
I'm grateful for His grace.

1 comment:

  1. May it continue! Thanks for sharing this stage of the journey

    ReplyDelete