Saturday, February 12, 2011

Mark Driscoll preaching 1 John

This week I listened to Mark Driscoll's twelve-part sermon series on 1 John that he preached at Mars Hill Church in 2004. Below are four quotes from two talks that really struck me.

From 1 John 3:1-10 (August 15, 2004)


People who don't know what they're gonna be like in the end don't know what to be like right now.


Parenting is nothing more than Christianity on a micro scale. You give birth, God gives new birth. Now you gotta raise the kids. You gotta make some rules so the child doesn't destroy themselves. Same thing with God - He makes laws and says, 'obey my laws.' The laws are to promote life. God wants to bless you. My main rules with my kids are "Obey your daddy and have fun." Those are the two rules in our home. Daddy's rules are to create life and health in a place where daddy can enjoy the kids and the kids can enjoy the daddy. We can all have fun and a good time. But as soon as you break those rules you end up destroying what is good, creating chaos where there should be order, and no body gets to have any more fun because sin has come in.


From 1 John 5:14-21 (September 26, 2004)


I pray that the Lord Jesus would be the subject of our discussion, the center of our lives, and the object of our affection.


I remember when I was a little kid... I went to a Hindu friend's house and in the center of their living room was this big shrine they had made, and they said their god lived in that shrine. I remember walking away from the house thinking, "well that's silly...they've got this little god with a candle on and they all give money to this little god and they all sit around and spend their time looking at this little god." And then I went home and we had cable TV. And we did the same dang thing! It was the center and everyone sat around it and it was the object of our worship. It took our money, it took our time. Sometimes it was said, "kids don't talk to me now, my show's on." Interpreted: "I need to get my time with god." Or: "Sorry honey, we can't have dinner together, we can't be intimate together, we can't pray together because right now I'm spending time with my Lord--the game's on."

No comments:

Post a Comment