Monday, January 25, 2010

Help! Genealogies in Scripture?

I just came across some helpful insight regarding "reading genealogies in Scripture." Often times when I get to these sections (ex: Genesis 5, Matthew 1), I find myself thinking, "Why do I need to read this? Why is this in the Bible? How does this family tree have any relevance to me?" Millard Erickson in Christian Theology (p. 133) offers some helpful insight. He writes...

It is common to observe (correctly) that very few Christians turn to the genealogies in Scripture for their personal devotions. Yet even these portions must have some significance. We must ask "What are the underlying truths?" Several possibilities come to mind:

1. All of us have a human heritage from which we derive much of what we are
2. We have all, through the long process of descent, received our life from God
3. God is at work providentially in human history, a fact of which we will be acutely aware if we study that history and God's dealings with humans

These truths have meaning for our situations today.

Next time you read a genealogy in Scripture, I hope these insights help!

1 comment:

  1. Bryan,

    Hllo from Uncle David. Were you able to investigation the validitiy, robustness of the book/movement A Course in MIracles? I am very interested in your expert opinion. Thank you, and God bless you and your quest.

    ReplyDelete